The goal of adding oil to pizza dough is to improve the texture of the dough and flavor the finished crust.
The oil will specifically:
- Making the dough softer will improve its capacity to stretch when rolled out. If you don’t use any oil, the dough will pull apart and produce holes.
- It also makes the dough more flexible, rolling out and stretching to its maximum potential.
- During fermentation, increase the volume of the dough.
- Creates a barrier on the dough to keep humidity and moisture from the toppings out during baking.
- Make the dough delightful by adding flavor!